Hari Raya Treat

A Malay friend from my old hometown invited Mr. How to his house during the recent Hari Raya Aidil  Fitri. Mr. How asked if I'd tag along and although feeling a bit lethargic then, I said Why not? Afterall, the Malay man was a mutual friend and it was not always that Mr. How asked me out. It would be fun to take a drive back to the countryside and to get a bite of lemang. Lemang, a traditional Malay delicacy is a must have  for Hari Raya Aidil  Fitri. It is made of glutinous rice, coconut milk and salt and cooked over a small fire in a hollowed bamboo stick lined with banana leaves for 4–5 hours. Sounds like a long, tedious task but the outcome could be spectacular. Good lemang tastes delicious even when not eaten with rendang or curry. On the way back, we chanced upon a villager selling durians and lemang by the roadside. Mr. How bought some durians and I settled for the lemang.



Comments