A Snack Called Muah Chee

Muah Chee is such a common snack here that I didn't give much thought to it; not until my nephew bought some from Penang. In the nearby market, l remember it come in round white balls filled with pounded peanuts. The one my nephew bought came in a mass of white gluey thing and the peanuts was in a separate bag. The white mass was really sticky; sticking to the plastic bag and fingers too; and it reminded of starch. Then, I recalled a  a documentary I had seen years back which depicted a Malay family in Brunei eating starch. Then, I was told cornstarch is used to make starch while glutinous rice flour is used to make Muah Chee. And I read later, there are two versions of Muah Chee; one with the peanuts inside and the other with the peanuts outside. Which version do you prefer?




Comments